Monday, April 6, 2009

Rural Fantasies

The weather was beautiful yesterday, and so of course we went to the park. What else would we do? Sitting on a blanket in the grass, watching people play with their dogs, thinking about the parsley seeds I'd just gotten, and seeing, out of the corner of my eye, E playing wiffle ball I thought about this idea I've always had: That if I could live somewhere or somehow closer to plants and animals, and be a little bit quieter and more patient, pay more attention to a few people I know I love, this would be a good life. This would make me happy. And I wondered if I am moving closer to that life, or farther and farther away from it. Maybe I'll never really live that way, but the thought will animate the things I choose to do, or think about.

Maybe it will always be my idea of escape; the refuge I could take if I wanted to, but that I will always move away from in the end. Maybe I'll just keep it in my mind.

Or maybe I'll end up a goat farmer.

No comments: