Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Roland Barthes by Roland Barthes


'As a child, I was often and intensely bored. This evidently began very early, it has continued my whole life, in gusts (increasingly rare, it is true, thanks to work and to friends), and it has always been noticeable to others. A panic boredom, to the point of distress: like the kind I feel in panel discussions, lectures, parties among strangers, group amusements: wherever boredom can be seen. Might boredom be my form of hysteria?'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On boredom... hi Alex, i find i can't really relate to being bored. My mother told us that the word 'boredom' or 'aburrimiento' in Spanish didn't exist in our vocabulary... hence there was always something to do, to read, to discover, to exchange and to reflect on...

I try to tell my younger cousins this... it is very much a mind set. Do you still get bored?