Monday, November 24, 2008

I Don't Know How I Got Here

But I somehow found myself watching some of the many, many amateur "Deceptacon" videos on youtube tonight. This song really inspired people. There are many versions, but I think that I will herein collect only those made by teenage girls. It seems in keeping with the spirit of the music:



My favorite thing about those girls is that in another one of their videos they have a dance-off over a Jones soda. They dance to DDR music, even though they are not doing DDR. It's just that that music is so fucking great.





This one might be my favorite:



I want to make it very clear that I am not making fun of these girls. You know how in all the videos it kind of seems like one of the girls is really into the song and the other(s) are just going along with her weird little project? I was definitely that girl.

Shit gets weird when you write a really catchy song, huh Kathleen Hanna?

6 comments:

Emily M. said...

um, i think the second one is totally amazing. first of all, yellow shorts loves it/knows the dance way more than red shorts. second of all, they're so clearly EXHAUSTED by the end of the song.

that is a LOT of fucking bouncing.

Anonymous said...

I love the first one, but maybe just becuase I watched it first. The last one gave me weird flashbacks to suburban Tulsa/Oklahoma City. Not that that was my life, but I knew those people.

alex said...

The second one is sort of a DIY version of the actual offical music video-- the bouncy dance is featured therein.

There is definitely a huge sub-genre of people doing their own version of the bouncy dance.

Witness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5pzx6C-Xb8

Katie said...

this post makes me have a deep love for teenage girls everywhere. i mean, what other solution is there to the utter hellish-ness that is female adolescence in a boy-run world than to fucking GET DOWN to some le tigre? record on, ladies. we support your bouncy dance.

al, you made my day with this collection. well done.

Unknown said...

I've had this post saved in my bloglines since you published it, and finally just watched all the videos. I agree with Katie, it also made me feel a deep and abiding love for teenage girls. The third one made me really want to BE a teenage girl again because I didn't do enough dancing around in my room, but I probably did more than enough decorating of my walls.

Sammy Solomon said...

i LOVE this and am so glad you are blogging again. in a similar, but much more mockable, vein, check out youtubes collection of teenagers doing covers of lisa loeb's "stay"